Saturday, May 31, 2008

Boxes Boxes Everywhere

Well June is approaching, and for many United Methodists in this part of the country that means Annual Conference season and Moving Day. This year we are joining the trek to a new appointment which will bring a whole new set of challenges and exciting opportunities. This is truly a time of new beginnings where pastors resolve to do better than the last time and really become the Spirit-filled disciple, preacher and teacher God called them to be. There are new people to meed. A new community of faith to get to know, and a loving God to serve. Every appointment teaches us things (good and bad) and we (I) try to bring that into the new setting. I do believe that God is in the appointment process and He is preparing our place for us.

But first........


Ugh. I hate moving. How did we accumulate all this crap? Um, I mean treasured family belongings. I walked in the parsonage the other day and it hit me, "Wow, moving day is coming soon." I wondered where that thought had come from then I noticed that our living room had that smell. The box smell. No matter where they come from, they all have that musty kind of sour smell.

For this move we have a selection of Pizza Hut boxes, a large number of "likker" store boxes (hey, they are strong and usually already have handy dividers) and some bona-fide official moving boxes that we got at the local thrift store.

It would be nice if the rest of the world stopped so we could focus on just one thing, but for now I've got to put aside the boxes and go polish my sermon and do the bulletins for church tomorrow. We're doing Holy Communion (which I love). You ought to come, it'll be great.

Peace,
John

No comments: